Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns

Nokturnal Mortum - Goat Horns
1997 / Symphonic folk black metal



Nokturnal Mortum is one of those bands I have a huge respect for and yet I find myself listening to their stuff quite irregularly. It has been quite a while since I last went through Goat Horns, but it is nice to notice that it hasn’t lost its shine. 
The album represents the classic style of NM, mixing plenty of symphonic elements with the good old black metal. I find that people are rather skeptical about this mix, but if there exists one band that manages it well, it’s NM. The ‘blacker’ parts are neat and rather aggressive and the melodies supporting them are quite engaging and what’s most important, not too cheesy. I also like the way the folk theme is brought to life on the album without overdoing it. All in all, it’s a solid album from start to finish and likely an enjoyable experience for almost anyone who’s into black metal because it's something a bit different and yet something very familiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment