Sunday, February 14, 2016

Black Funeral - Vukolak

Black Funeral - Vukolak
2010 / Black metal



This weekend I decided to continue my journey to check out Black Funeral and gave Vukolak, the latest full-length release of the band, a couple of spins. It appears that Vukolak is a pretty tough nut to crack and even after listening to the album multiple times, I am still hesitant to say anything about it. I mean it’s pretty clear that it’s one of band’s weaker albums (or at least from those that I have listened to), but with each new spin the album seemed at least a bit more enjoyable. 

The sound is about the same I have come to expect from the band; it’s essentially raw black metal, but what’s new on this album is the introduction of a chaotic aspect to the songwriting, which unfortunately works only half of the time and is ‘utilized’ almost excessively throughout the album. The song quality also seems quite inconsistent and the tracks don’t align as nicely as on the band’s previous albums. What surprised me positively are the couple instrumental/ambient tracks amid all the black metal stuff, which help in creating the obscure atmosphere for the album. 
I think there are multiple strong tracks on the album but the whole set could be way more balanced and engaging, but at the same time I am not convinced that I have yet understood the album fully, so I’ll most likely have to spin it a couple more times before I can make my mind about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment