Sunday, January 24, 2016

Acrimonious - Sunyata

Acrimonious - Sunyata
2012 / Black metal

Sunyata is actually a pretty decent album but it’s just rather uninspiring. The sound on the album resembles that of Nightbringer quite a lot and in fact two of the members used to be a part of the live lineup of NB so it’s pretty clear that NB was the major inspiration for this album. Normally this wouldn’t be such a bad thing if there was also something new to be found, but in this case there was basically nothing that would differentiate this album from an average album of NB.

I do believe that adopting some elements from NB and giving it a twist could result in something great, but unfortunately that is not what Sunyata was really aiming to do. I do like the general style of NB so I simply can’t say that I dislike Sunyata, but I was still mildly disappointed with the lack of originality. I’ll definitely listen to it again at some point and see if I could get more out of it, but now it just felt like a simplified version of NB.

No comments:

Post a Comment